{Page 24 Continued}

{PICTURE: MILLIE by a garden}

When I was 19 or 20 I started dating. I met Millie Birch at a community dance in St. Anthony. I first dated another girl, then Millie's sister, Lois. I took her out 2 or 3 times but decided she was not for me. Then Millie and I began dating.

There was usually a dance every Saturday night at Teton and once a month or so at St. Anthony. My sisters taught me how to dance. They dragged me out on the floor because I was too bashful to go out on my own. We did waltzes, fox trots, two-steps and etc.

Millie looked good to me right from the start! She had real good sense! She was even tempered, calm and not easily depressed. She always looked nice - even up to the very last of her life she was very particular about her appearance. She was always clean and neat and had a nice choice of colors.

{PICTURE: 24 Millie}
{PICTURE: 24 Zella, Millie, Fern}
{PICTURE: 24 Millie}

We dated nearly every week except when I worked at beet thinning, beet topping, picking potatoes or other heavy farmwork. Then I would be too tired to go on a date.

Millie was working some of this time for Mr. Lowe, a lawyer. When he died she worked for Judge Jackson and also as cashier and bookkeeper at a mercantile store.

We often doubled with others on our dates. Seth Bean, my cousin, was dating Lois Birch at this same time so we often went together.

{Page 25}

The relationship between Millie and I developed gradually as we went skating on the Snake River in the winter time, dancing, attend ing athletic events and etc. (The Snake River froze over as did also the canals in the winter so we had lots of places to skate. I was on my head more than my feet, it seemed!) Two summers we with 6 other couples took horses and went up to Canyon Creek and camped out for several days. We enjoyed this very much. Another time we took my Dad's first Dodge car which had high wheels and high pressure tires and went to Pincock Springs to go swimming. Fern and Zella Birch, Millie's sisters went with us. They had the time of their lives. I remember what a job it was to change a flat on this car - you would have to take the tire off the wheel and remove the tube; then repair it, put it back into the tire and onto the wheel and then it seemed it would take a half day to hand pump it to get the proper inflation.

Millie lived in St. Anthony and I would have to drive the team of horses on the buggy or a bobsled to go to see her. It took about three fourths of an hour to get there to her place.

One night as I was returning home after our date I tipped the buggy over. A dog ran out in front of the horse and barked. My horse jumped off side and tipped over the buggy, but luckily nothing was broken. I held onto the reins. Soon I had the horse loose then he broke away and ran home without me. I had to walk the rest of the way.

On the bobsled I had 2 horses called "Bawley" and "King". We loved to race from Teton to St. Anthony in the winter. The horses were sharp shod to enable them to stand on ice and snow. Every team that passed along the way, we would whistle and away we'd go. The depot corner in St. Anthony was a broad corner at which 5 roads came together. This gave us an irresistible opportunity to spin our sleighs here. Then the cops would come after us and we would take off running with our horses and sleighs. Of course, he would never catch us.

{Page 26}

{PICTURE: MILLIE BIRCH with basketball}
One winter I took Millie's basketball team to Ashton, Idaho to play. The school teacher went along as chaperon. He was snuggled down under the quilts in the back of the sleigh as we returned. When we got to St. Anthony I started the sleigh spinning on the depot corner. He got the full effect as we went round and round. He came up out of the covers just like he had been shot out of a gun. I never got home this night until about 4 a.m.

The bed of the sleigh was about 26 inches high, we piled straw one third of the way up and then laid quilts on top of that. We put hot bricks to our feet, piled on many more quilts, put on all the clothes we could and sat close together. We kept quite comfortable.

When I proposed to Millie after three years of courting she told me I would have to ask her Dad. When I went to see him he was up on the haystack. I told him why I had come and asked if I might have permission to marry his daughter, Millie. I didn't know how he would respond, whether he'd throw his pitch fork at me and order me off the place or give his consent. Happily for me he did give his consent.

We dated another year before we were married. During that time I went to work for the railroad in Pocatello, Idaho to earn some extra money so we could get married. The workers were on strike at that time and so we men who worked for the railroad were kept right in the yard. If anyone went out they would get beat up by the strikers. We were fed and slept there. I earned about sixty cents an hour. That was good money, then. I sent it to St. Anthony to a bank. In 1923 the bank went broke and I lost all the money I had worked through the summer to earn. It was about $400 - $500 but it was a lot of money to us then.

While I was in Pocatello I was ordained an Elder by Charles Joel Loveland the 27 August 1923.