Being on the dry farm was like being on top of the world - that was how it made me feel. I still get this feeling even today when I go back. Springtime on the dry farm was such a beautiful time of the year. The quakies coming into leaf with the tender green color and the many wild flowers in bloom - some of which were the buttercups and wild violets, blue bells and Indian paintbrush. Each season seemed to have it's special charm. The rich yellow of the quaky leaves in the fall were also something to behold.

Of all the seasons my favorite time was the spring. I loved to turn over that dark rich soil which worked up so beautifully just like a garden spot. The process of preparing, planting, growing and harvesting brings me great excitement and satisfaction. I never tire of it. I feel a closeness to the Great Creator as I have participated in this yearly process.

There were some wild animals on the dry farm. One night after I had gotten the crawler tractor and was plowing there were 7 or 8 head of deer that went along in the furrow in front of me as I made my last round of the day. 1 carried a gun after that but never saw anymore. I did kill a deer one year as I remember. We had moose and elk. Blaine Peterson and I trailed an elk all night one night but never caught up to him. Louis Ryle killed a moose one spring about March and it was in pretty good shape, too, but it was so tough you couldn't put your fork in the gravy.

The people on the dry farm were so sociable. Everybody knew everyone else. We had some good neighbors - the Petersons and the Neighborgs. We enjoyed several fun times together eating and

{Page 53}

{PICTURE: 53 Squirrel County Store Serves as Civic Center}
playing games. They liked to play pinoche. We found many times they were getting more serious than we liked. Playing for fun was what we liked. Because Millie and I did not like the serious trend we finally quit playing it at all. The children would find fun things to do together at these times.

There was a store at the area called Squirrel which was 5 miles from our home. It was run by Mr. and Mrs. Johnson. He had a little bit of everything here, no matter what you needed. It wasn't always in view because he didn't have room to display everything but if you ask him for a particuIar item he could usually find it. He had harnesses, hardware items, dishes, canned food, clothing, shoes, some ladies wear and parts to repair almost everything. Whenever we went to the store we would take the whole family and he would treat us all to a piece of candy. He and his wife were always very good to us as well as everyone else. He extended credit to us from the first. If it had not been for his willingness to give us credit we would not have eaten as well as we did the first two years we were on the dry farm. He would carry us to the harvest. He never billed us. After the harvest we would go in on our own to pay our bill, He would load us up with all kinds of stuff for us and the children. Many took advantage of him and his generosity, but he still continued this policy to the end. They were not LDS but were very fine people.

We attended several fun dances at Squirrel. There was a family that would come and sing and play music. They were very good. Everyone went and danced and had a good time socializing.

In the summer when the family would come we often played "Hide and Seek" and "Dare Base." This was played on the south side of the house. One time when my family came we were playing this, one person

{Page 54}

slipped and landed in a cow pie getting all covered with it. This created quite a laugh for us all. The next day Ward Costley was so stiff from the running he could hardly move.

{PICTURE: 54 The Petersons}
Mr. and Mrs, Peterson, our nearest neighbors, were like second parents to us. They had a telephone so this would keep us in touch when necessary with our families or they with us. Any trouble we were in brought us to them for advise. They gave good council and had good sound judgement. One time a neighbor corraled my horses which had gotten into his fields because of a break in the fence. He would not let me have them unless I paid him so much money. I went to Mr. Peterson and asked what I should do. Mr. Peterson asked me if his fences were all in good repair. I answered that his were not in any better repair than were my own. We'd had a hard winter and many of the fences were broken down. He said: "Then all you have to do is to tell him to turn the horses loose or you will call the sheriff." I followed his council and pretty soon over the hill came my horses on the dead run with his dog chasing them.

At first I used their chopper to chop my grain for my horses. They were always most accomodating. I felt I could borrow anything they had if I'd have wanted to. I've always tried very hard to be responsible when borrowing from others. I have returned that which I had borrowed promptly and in as good a condition as when I first got it, because I've had the experience of loaning to others and having never gotten my things back or else they were brought back broken down. I promised my self that I would never do this to any one else.

I remember one year Ruth and Ralph had developed a very bad ear infection. We drove them out by team to Ashton and borrowed Ward Costley's car to take them to the doctor in Rexburg. Generally though Mother was good at treating the colds, tonsillitis and chest infections that the family got. She used cayenne pepper butter, mustard poultices, onion syrup and the application of what she called "horse collars" This really helped in preventing coughing at night. We also had a salve we called "cow salve" because I got it to use on the cows udder and tits when they were sore. It was very healing and good on all cuts and bruises. We handled all these things ourselves. When the condition did not respond to our care we called on the priesthood blessing to help us. This helped us through the worst times and situations. We found we could do many things we didn't think we could until we were put to the test.

{Page 55}

Millie and I went to Detroit after a car in 1937 in December. We left Karen who was two years old with the Lester and Vera Henrichsens at Farnum. We were gone about a week and when we got back Karen wouldn't have anything to do with Millie. This made her feel bad.

Lyman Martineau talked me into buying a Plymouth. It was the biggest lemon I ever had in my life.

We traveled back on the bus. It took us three days and three nights.
{PICTURE: 55 Plymouth 37}

Millie said she could never sleep on it but after the first day she slept all the way. A drunk got on the bus at Pocatello. The driver wanted his ticket but even though he went through all his pockets he couldn't find it. The bus driver kicked him off at Rock Springs. We picked up the car and came right back. We had to put on chains to get into our place.