{PAGE 11}

{PICTURE: Bean Home -- At 6th North 5th East}
The first house we lived in was a "T" shaped house made of adobe brick and painted white. There was a big upstairs where we boys slept. A big living room and kitchen together were heated by a coal stove as well as the cooking stove. This was located on 6th North and 5 East Streets on the corner. This is where I was born, also.

Dad owned one half block with a big hay barn there. A long lane led to the road. There were big lots and the houses were scattered but we were in the city limits. Just two blocks east however was farming country at that time Dad had nine and a half acres which he alternated in hay and grain up near Rock Canyon. We could sell the hay around for almost everyone had a cow or so and therefore needed hay.

Then we had five acres in apple trees down on the Provo River. We grew spuds between the apple trees. There was lots of morning glory in that area. I remember hoeing the corn and turning around and looking back and it seemed as if the morning glory were growing up right behind me. I would ride a horse while Dad cultivated the corn which helped some but not like the chemicals of today.

We would drive the cows to a pasture-like swamp. We would pick up all the neighbor's cows (8-10) on the way. This was called the "town herd". Families took turns taking them and bringing them back at the close of day. When we would go get the cows at night they would be covered with that swampy mud from the pasture and had to be cleaned off before they could be milked.

Dad had a second house built on 4th East and between 6th and 7th North in Provo in which we lived also. Both of these houses are still in existence today (1982).

This second house was about one half block south of where the temple hill is located. On this hill now (1982) stands the Maeser building of the BYU Campus. There was lots of brush on the hillside then and we kids spent much time playing "hide and go seek." there.


Also there was a campus football and baseball field close to here with a high fence around it. We kids didn't have any money to go to the games so we found a hole in the fence and

{Page 12}

crawled through to watch the games. The people in authority found out where the hole was however and boarded it up So we went to the other side of the field where there were some tall shade trees and climbed up in them to watch. I did love baseball. Every summer groups of us boys would get together and form teams. We would play other teams in the neighborhood. We generally played in the afternoons. We did not have a coach to direct us.

We had lots of visitors in our home. Almost every week there were relatives or our grandparents staying for a day or two My cousins, Frank, Vern, and Ezra Edman enjoyed staying with the folks. There was one couple named Rone Casper and his wife that visited the folks at times. He and dad would talk politics and get in some heated discussions hut would always leave each other as friends still believing their opposite ways.

We had an old clock with a pendlum which hung on a wall in the living room. It would strike on the half hour and hour. It could be heard all over the house. Whenever I would come home and mother would say: "What time is it, Lloyd?" I could not have lied because the clock would gong in a while and she would know what time it really was.

Every 24th of July we were given about two bits to spend. We knew that was all there was so we would make it stretch as far as possible - buying ice cream , popcorn, and licorice. Each summer the circus would come to town and dad would always try to take mother and us children who were at home. There would be a big parade with lots of elephants and the animals in their cages on wagons.

We usually had a big Christmas and we got lots of stuff. I remember wanting a horse so bad for two separate years. Clarence put some dried horse manure balls in my stocking one year. When I complained I did not get a horse he said: "The horse was here but got away!"