{Page 20 part2}


{PICTURE: 20 Home at Teton Idaho}
About 1912 Dad went with a group of men to the Big Horn country in Wyoming to Look at the country. They passed through Idaho. When Dad returned to Provo he expressed a desire to live in Idaho. He made two more trips to that state in the next two years before he found a place to come to and settle. In the spring of 1914 after having sold the farms in Provo he bought 40 acres south and east of the Teton River and south of where we eventually lived in the house we built. It stands on the east bank of the Teton River on the highway going from Sugar City to Teton. My sister, Melva, now (1982) lives here. It is white stucco home with a large front porch There is a large lawn with flower beds and garden to the east of that. This has been a great fun spot for famiIy gatherings over the years.

Later Dad bought the 26 acres that connected the home place and the original 40 acres. He also bought bottom land along the river for pasture grazing.

Dad, Leonidas, his brother, Frank and Ezra Edman drove four wagons to Idaho with our supplies. I wanted to go with so bad I cried. It took about thirteen days to make the trip. We kids and Mother stayed in Provo until school was out. Then we put our chickens and cows in one end of a box car and our furniture in the other end. The family then rode the train to Sugar City, Idaho where Dad met us. It took about eight hours on the train to reach Sugar City from Provo. I remember the morning we left. We were awakened real early and our uncle had fixed mush for us to eat for breakfast, but it was so salty we could hardly eat it.

{Page 21}

After arriving in Sugar City we drove the cattle to Teton to our farm. We lived in four tents with wooden floors and frames all summer until almost Thanksgiving when it got too cold and so we moved into the house Clarence and Dad were building for us even though it was not finished. One tent Mother used for cooking and eating. She had her kitchen range in it. We drank river water as we had no well at that time.

The following winter we dug a well by the house. It went dry and we had to go deeper. It went dry again. We had a windlass and a casing. Dad wound the windlass and I dug down the well. We later tried put ting a pipe with holes in it which would strain the water down in the well but that did not work. Finally Dad had to have a well digger come and dig the well.

We farmed with horses, plowed, cut hay, cultivated sugar beet and etc.

I finished the eighth grade in Teton. We walked to school which was a distance of a mile, possibly. My parents wanted me to go to high school but we were very poor. I didn't have any good clothes. The best pants I had were worn at the seat and I was too proud to go in them. (I now wish that I had gone and finished high school.) I never asked Dad for any money because I knew he didn't have it. I helped him on the farm, when we had finished our work he would let me take the team and work for someone else to earn a little spending money. I helped thresh, haul hay, and etc.

{PICTURE: Lloyd J. Bean}
I worked with the sheep helping some neighbors during the winter. In the fall and winter the sheep would be taken out on the lavas out of St. Anthony, Idaho. They had three different camps with a herder. One foggy night got lost moving to another camp. The herder fired his gun and I found that I was not more than five hundred feet from camp but couldn't see anything and I was a little nervous There were lots of sage hens and we killed them for eating. I liked all the herders except one. He was very dirty and I hated to crawl in bed with him. I would stay with each herder in his camp. I earned about $60.00 a month.

{PICTURE: Lloyd J. Bean}
My sisters worked in the seed house in St. Anthony to earn money when they were not going to school.

{Page 22}

And we grew in stature and ability - Young adulthood

{Page 23}

{PICTURE: Early St. Anthony, IDAHO}

{Page 24}

The young people in my family enjoyed the bob sled and horses in the wintertime.